Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rash Update

After going to Kaylee's regular pediatrician today for a 2nd opinion we found out that she has measles. What measles??? She got her MMR (measles, mumps, & rubella) vaccine 2 weeks ago. There is a very small chance that once given the live virus you can be infected. So... Kaylee is one of the not so lucky ones! The rash and other symptoms should go away within 3-7 days. I feel so bad for her poor thing!!!
My doctor did tell me that Kaylee is not contagious but I would never want to chance anyone else getting the measles... But after doing some online research I am not as worried. This is what I found...
Some children develop soreness in the local area of the shot, and occasionally a low-grade fever. Reports have also indicated rare cases of fevers greater than 103 degrees, usually five to 12 days after receiving the shot. Also some children develop a mild, measles-like rash about seven to 12 days after getting the measles vaccine. Children with this reaction can still get the measles vaccine in the future. Children with measles rash from the vaccine are not contagious to other people.

2 comments:

Joannah said...

Poor thing! I willpray that she gets better fast.

leah said...

Holy Smokes, Kara! How scary! My grandma told me a while back measles were just like chicken pox- everyone got them and they didn't think much of it. I hope you guys get away from this experience thinking the same thing!